CloroxPro Blog – Professional Cleaning and Disinfection Insights
A blog from industry experts devoted to public health awareness, best practices, and the role of environmental cleaning and disinfection, to promote safer, healthier public spaces.Prepare for Your Office Reopening https://www.cloroxpro.ca/blog/prepare-for-your-office-reopening/ October 14, 2020 October 15, 2020 https://www.cloroxpro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Capture-1.jpg
Prepare for Your Office Reopening
Over the past few months Canadians have worked hard to help prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.1 Now, offices are beginning to reopen.
As more and more workers return, the potential for infection from high-traffic areas and high-touch surfaces increases.1 There is also the chance of someone forgetting to use proper handwashing technique, physical distancing, or the other rules for reducing the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.1
Surfaces frequently touched with hands are most likely to be contaminated, such as door handles, light switches, elevator buttons, desks, phones, computer equipment, and common workplace areas like kitchens.2 It is not yet known how long the virus that causes COVID-19 lives on surfaces, however, early evidence suggests that it can live on objects and surfaces from a few hours to days.2
What role can you play in the reopening?
A successful reopening takes some planning. If your workplace has a cleaning or disinfection protocol in place already, take this opportunity to review it, and if necessary, update or enhance it to reflect the required precautions due to the COVID-19 virus.2
You can look for guidance on this topic from the Public Health Agency of Canada.3 You can also consult the tip sheets for Businesses available from the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety.4
Preparation is the key in case of an outbreak. The following steps will help you be ready:
- Put outbreak preparedness procedures in place.5
- Create an outbreak checklist, including locations of quarantine rooms, list of contacts, and steps for deep cleaning.5
- Ensure that there is personal protective equipment available. This includes gloves, masks and gowns.6
Assign someone to be in charge of the infection prevention and control procedures.
Choose a product that cleans and disinfects
Canada Public Health recommends that when cleaning public spaces like workplaces, choose products that clean and disinfect all at once.2
- Cleaning products remove germs and dirt.2
- Disinfecting products kill germs on surfaces.2
- Only use approved hard-surface disinfectants that have a Health Canada approved Drug Identification Number (DIN).2
The Clorox Company makes disinfectants that are approved for use against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. As your partners in disinfection, you can count on us to provide you with appropriate products and equipment, and also assistance with setting up cleaning and disinfection protocols for your business or office building that are in line with public health guidelines.
When your office opens, be ready! Make sure that you have a supply of the appropriate cleaning and disinfecting productsin place.
© 2020 The Clorox Company
- Government of Canada. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Measures to reduce COVID-19 in your community. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/measures-reduce-community.html. Accessed September 8, 2020.
- Public Health Agency of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Cleaning and disinfecting public spaces. https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/publications/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/cleaning-disinfecting-public-spaces/cleaning-disinfecting-public-spaces-eng.pdf. Accessed September 8, 2020.
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Risk mitigation tool for workplaces/businesses operating during the COVID-19 pandemic. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/guidance-documents/risk-informed-decision-making-workplaces-businesses-covid-19-pandemic.html. Accessed September 8, 2020.
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. Coronavirus (COVID-19) Tips: Reopening for Business. https://www.ccohs.ca/images/products/pandemiccovid19/pdf/reopening.pdf. Accessed September 8, 2020.
- World Health Organization. Getting your workplace ready for COVID-19. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/getting-workplace-ready-for-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=359a81e7_6. Accessed September 8, 2020.
- Health Canada. Personal protective equipment (COVID-19): Overview https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment/overview.html. Accessed September 8, 2020.